Implementation Date: November 1st, 2013
Last Revision Date: Jan 20th, 2017
CodeCore provides an opportunity for students to resolve disputes of a serious nature and grades appeals in a fair and equitable manner.
The policy applies to all CodeCore students who are currently enrolled or were enrolled prior to the submitting their concern to the site administrator.
Procedure for Student Disputes:
When a concern arises, the student should first attempt to address it with the individual most directly involved. If unsatisfied with the outcome, the student should submit a written complaint to the School Administrator. Should this person be absent or be named in the complaint the student should submit the written complaint to the President.
The School Administrator or President will arrange to meet with the student to discuss the concern as soon as possible and within five days of receiving the student’s written complaint.
Following the meeting with the student, the School Administrator or the President will conduct whatever enquiries and/or investigations are necessary and provide a written response to the student that includes reasons for the determination on the complaint.
The written reasons will be provided no later than 15 days following the receipt of the student’s written complaint. Students making a complaint may be represented by an agent or a lawyer. Students will not be subject to any retaliation as a result of their complaint. After having exhausted the dispute resolution process, a student may file a claim with the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education (www.privatetrainininginstitutions.bc.ca) on the basis that the institution misled the student regarding any significant aspect of an approved program.
Procedure for Grade Appeal:
- If a student is dissatisfied with a grade received and can provide evidence that a higher grade is warranted he/she should discuss with his/her instructor. The instructor will reconsider the grade and, if warranted, assign a different grade.
- If the student is not satisfied with the outcome of his/her appeal to the instructor, he/she should submit a written appeal to the Senior Educational Administrator.
- The Senior Educational Administrator will obtain a copy of the assignment/test in question from the instructor and will have another instructor conduct a review.
- If the assessment achieves a higher grade on re-mark, the higher grade will be assigned to the student. If the assessment achieves a lower grade on re-mark, the original grade will be retained.
- Once the re-assessment is complete, the Senior Educational Administrator will review the process and, once his/her review is complete, the grade will be considered final and cannot be appealed.
- The decisions on the grade appeal will be provided to students within 30 school days of CodeCore’s receipt of the written complaint.