< All Policies
Health & Safety Policies
Implementation Date: November 1st, 2013
Last Revision Date: November 1st, 2013
Health and Safety General
CodeCore is committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace and learning environment for its employees, students and visitors. We are committed to preventing occupational illness and injury in the school and continually improving health and safety practices. If you see something that does not align with the health and safety of students and/or instructors please email your concern(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org. All concerns will be reviewed and responded to within five business days. If a situation is urgent please address it directly with an Administrative staff member so that it is addressed immediately.
Please let us know if you have medical conditions that we should know about in the event of emergencies.
If persons are missing for more than three days (no contact with the school) then a designated staff person, faculty member or student will take all reasonable measures to find out where they are.
Food and Drinks
Please refrain from bringing food or drinks into the workshop areas. Spilled food or drinks will ruin a computer!
CodeCore’s Workshop locations may have kitchen facilities for your convenience; microwave, fridge, sink, pop and chip machines. PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE OLD FOOD IN THE FRIDGE! Fridges are cleaned out on a weekly basis. Fridge clean-out times are posted on the fridge directly. If your food explodes while in the microwave oven, please clean it up! Place all perishable food waste in the trash bin. Please keep the lunchroom area clean and tidy.
Save a tree and recycle your paper! Use the recycling bins for paper, cans and bottles as marked. You can recycle your pop cans in the lunchroom areas. Please make sure your cans and bottles are empty before putting them in the bins!
There are washrooms available on site. Please keep them clean and respect the other tenants in the building who use them.
There is no smoking allowed anywhere inside the building. Students who go outside to smoke must do so a minimum of 6 meters away from the building doorway and all air intakes in order to prevent second-hand smoke from entering the building. Please feel free to gently remind other tenants of this policy, and do not prop open the front door while outside for any reason. Please dispose of your cigarette butts in a garbage can once you’re sure that they are no longer burning.
CodeCore recognizes the important role of pets in the lives of many staff and students. It is also acknowledged that some occupants of the facility may have concerns regarding health/allergies or safety concerning pets in the workplace environment. With the exception of animals providing assistance to persons with disabilities, animals/pets are not allowed in the CodeCore facility.
In the event of an emergency, please notify a staff member or call 911 from the closest available telephone. Report the incident and give the authorities your current location.
If there is a problem with the computer network or internet, notify staff by e-mail at: email@example.com, or phone: 778-384-0424.
Periodic fire drills may occur. Please do not assume that it is a fire drill. If you have not been given clear directions as to what to do in the event of fire then please notify staff so that we can make sure that information is available to you.
If you are aware of any dangers that exist in the building generally or within our operating areas then please let us know immediately.
Procedure for Fire Safety:
- The site administrator ensures that adequate fire suppression equipment is available as needed throughout the campus and that all fire suppression equipment is inspected by a qualified inspector at least annually.
- The site administrator ensures that all employees receive training in the operation of the fire suppression equipment and in the school fire evacuation procedures.
- The site administrator is responsible for preparing and posting emergency exit instructions route maps in each classroom at the campus with the exit from that room specifically noted in a coloured highlight.
- In the event of a fire emergency, the site administrator will dial 911 and advise the fire department of the location of the school. They will provide details of the type of fire (if known) and the location of the fire within the campus.
- The site administrator will advise all employees to evacuate the campus.
- Instructors will escort their students to a safe location outside the front of the building ensuring that he or she takes the class list with them. At the safe location location, the Instructor will check the students present against the list of students in attendance that day and will immediately advise the site administrator if anyone is missing.
- The site administrator will act as a liaison between fire officials and students/employees during the emergency. If necessary, the site administrator will authorize school closure.
- No student or employee will re-enter the campus until the fire officials have authorized re-entry.
Procedure for Earthquake Safety:
- The site administrator ensures that adequate precautions are taken throughout the campus to ensure that injury due to falling or unstable items during an earthquake is limited. This may include securing file cabinets to walls and providing lipped shelving for books or binders that are located at or above head-level.
- The site administrator ensures that all employees receive training in the school earthquake evacuation procedures.
- The designated site administrator is responsible for preparing and posting emergency instructions and exit route maps in each classroom at the campus with the exit from that room specifically noted in a coloured highlight.
- In the event of an earthquake emergency, all staff and students will take cover and remain under cover until the shaking stops.
- When it is deemed safe to do so, the site administrator will advise all employees to evacuate the campus.
- Instructors will escort their students to main site ensuring that he or she takes the class list with them. At main site, the Instructor will check the students present against the list of students in attendance that day and will immediately advise the site administrator if anyone is missing.
- The site administrator will act as a liaison between rescue officials and students/employees during the emergency. If necessary, the site administrator will authorize school closure.
- No student or employee will re-enter the campus until the rescue officials have authorized re-entry.
CodeCore does not have a qualified counsellor on staff to help students with personal issues. However, Administration and/or Student Services can provide information on where to contact professional counsellors and therapists who are qualified for such a service.
Do not hesitate to speak to your program’s head or an Administrator if you are going through a tough situation and would like to speak to a counsellor. Any issues relating to mental health or personal obstacles that hinder your work will remain confidential.