English is the primary language of instruction and communication in CodeCore College, Canada. A primary challenge for international applicants seeking to work or study in Canada is the ability to speak and understand English. Strong skills are needed in writing, speaking and understanding English in order to work or study in Canada.
Applicants from outside Canada where English is not the primary language of instruction must provide results of an English Language Proficiency Examination as part of their application.
Why English Language Proficiency is important?
English Language Proficiency is important to evaluate an individual’s abilities in terms of listening, reading, speaking, and writing skills.
English Language Proficiency Requirement Standards
There are different English Language Proficiency Requirement Standard for each program in CodeCore College. To meet the English Language Proficiency Requirements for the opted program by the application check the program information. Test scores are accepted up to two years after the test date.
This level may be met by one or more of the following:
- English First Peoples 12 or English Studies 12. Students may also present English Literature 12, English 12 First Peoples English 12, Advanced Placement English, International Baccalaureate English A (standard level or higher level), or equivalent.
- Successful completion of 3 consecutive years (full-time) of secondary school and/or post-secondary education in English medium in a country (see list of countries below) where English is the primary language. Education must include the equivalent of B.C. secondary school graduation or completion of first year post-secondary (minimum 30 post-secondary credits recognized by CodeCore) with a minimum CGPA of 2.00 (or C average).
- Test of English as a Foreign Language - TOEFL - paper-based score of 550 with a TWE score of 4.0 or higher or iBT score of 80 with no section below 19.
- International English Language Testing System - IELTS - Academic format - overall 6.0 bands, with no band less than 5.5.
- CAEL - Canadian Academic English Language - score of at least 60.
- PTE - Pearson Test of English, Academic score of 56 with a minimum score of 52 in Writing.
- CLBPT - Canadian Language Benchmark placement test - 8 overall, with no skill less than 7.
- Duolingo - score of minimum 100